The House Redistricting Committee’s timeline for Weeks 2-3 of the 2012 Legislative Session is explained below in an email the Committee’s Chairman Will Weatherford sent to the Members of the Committee this morning.
From: Weatherford, Will
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 8:42 AM
Subject: House Redistricting Committee Timeline for Weeks 2-3 of Session
Dear Members of the Committee,
As you know, on Monday the House’s redistricting subcommittees approved seven proposed committee bills regarding state legislative and congressional redistricting. The bills are numbered as follows:
- HJR 6001 – PCB SRS 12-01 – by Representative Nehr – State Senate Map S000S9004
- HB 6003 – PCB CRS 12-05 – by Representative Legg – Congressional Map H000C9041
- HB 6005 – PCB CRS 12-06 – by Representative Legg – Congressional Map H000C9043
- HB 6007 – PCB CRS 12-07 – by Representative Legg – Congressional Map H000C9045
- HJR 6009 – PCB HRS 12-01 – by Representative Schenck – State House Map H000H9025
- HJR 6011 – PCB HRS 12-02 – by Representative Schenck – State House Map H000H9027
- HJR 6013 – PCB HRS 12-05 – by Representative Schenck – State House Map H000H9031
It is important that each of you and the public have another opportunity to review the maps and offer additional thoughts prior to the Committee’s selection and approval of a State House map, a State Senate map, and a congressional map.
For planning purposes, our Committee’s expected timeline for Weeks 2-3 of Session is as follows:
- Friday, January 20, 2012 – (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – the Redistricting Committee will conduct a workshop of the seven redistricting bills listed above. The Committee will not be taking any votes during this meeting.
- The workshop will be segmented into two parts. The first half of the meeting will be devoted to a review of public input received since the House’s options for congressional and state legislative maps were first published on December 6, 2011. Our staff are soliciting further public input specific to the proposals above. Additionally, we will be allowing public comment on the proposed maps at the meeting. The second part of the meeting will be devoted to staff presentations of the proposed maps.
- Friday, January 27, 2012 – (9.am. to 1 p.m.) – the Redistricting Committee will meet to take up and vote on one State House map, one congressional map, the State Senate map, and any timely filed amendments that pertain to those maps.
Note that pursuant to House Rule 7.12(b), the House Rules & Calendar Committee plans to meet and recommend a special procedures for redistricting amendment deadlines to be considered by the House prior to the Redistricting Committee meeting on January 27. It is expected that the deadlines will be similar to those used for redistricting subcommittees during the recent Interim Committee meetings.
The maps and additional information regarding the bills listed above can be viewed at at http://myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Redistricting/Redistricting2012.aspx.
If you have any questions or need for additional information, please feel free to contact me or our Committee’s staff.